Summertime brings warmer weather, longer days, and dreams of vacations to beaches or new cities. But with the risks of COVID-19, vacations may be canceled or travel may not be possible because we feel safer at home. So what do we do?
The answer is simple — STAYCATION. Create a spa in your bathroom or turn your dining space into a restaurant...here are some fun ideas to implement in your home this weekend!
Recreate a spa in your bathroom
One of the most popular staycation ideas is transforming your bathroom into a spa. Luckily, you don’t have to sacrifice relaxation during your staycation. With a few simple changes, you can easily recreate a tranquil retreat in your bathroom or en suite.
1. Clear out any visible counter clutter: Make sure to clear off any clutter on the countertops like your toothbrush and daily toiletries. Now’s a great time to throw out any old products you haven’t used in a while and make your space as clean as possible.
2. Splurge on the amenities: Treat yourself to some new towels, a robe, and other spa favorites. Splurging on nice towels will bring a luxurious feel to your normal bathroom. While spending a spa day in your bathroom may not seem like the most luxurious at-home vacation, it can be with some spa essentials from your favorite local spa to really feel like you’re on vacation.
3. Light candles and use oil diffusers: Scents of lavender and bergamot essential oils will help bring that spa feel to your home. If you want a beach-side atmosphere instead, consider lighting a coconut vanilla candle.
Turn A Room into a Restaurant
This is so easy, yet most transformative staycation ideas. By easily changing the feel of a room, you can make it more reminiscent of a cozy restaurant for a date night or a cafe you’d find on vacation. Don't have a dining room table, use a card table with a white tablecloth.
4. Add flowers or plants to create a centerpiece Order a nice flower arrangement from your favorite florist or take some flowers from your backyard to spruce up the interior of your kitchen. If you have access to a garden center, pick up some plants that remind you of your favorite summer vacation spots to create a colorful centerpiece for your dining table.
5. Make use of your formal dining room and nice dishware When was the last time you ate dinner in your formal dining room that wasn’t for a holiday or special occasion? Treat your staycation like a special occasion and have your meals in your dining room. Better yet, put your nicer dishware to use as if you were dining at a Michelin star restaurant for a date night.
6. Turn your outdoor space into a cozy dining area There’s no need to worry about forgetting to book an outdoor table at your favorite restaurant when you vacation at home. Adding a seating or dining area will upgrade your staycation. If your outdoor tables have seen better days, spend an afternoon cleaning off that furniture or adding a fresh coat of paint or lacquer to those well-loved dining chairs
Spruce up your backyard or patio
Whether you live in a condo in Downtown Baltimore and just have a small patio, or you live in a single family home in Columbia with a large backyard and a pool, there’s a handful of simple updates you can do to give your backyard a resort-like feel.
7. Freshen up your area with new plants and lights Make your outdoor space feel more like a paradise by planting some new flowers or greenery. If you don’t have a green thumb, contact your local landscaping company for advice on what plants will work in your area. By adding some new lights to your backyard or patio, it’ll upgrade your staycation evenings as the sunsets. Adding lights will bring that magical vacation feel to your backyard and keep your staycation going throughout the summer.
8. Set up an outdoor audio system Whether you’re planning on dining in your backyard or setting up a movie night, you’ll want to add speakers or a sound system to your outdoor space. Think about investing in an audio setup that works throughout your home as well as outdoors, making it useful throughout the year. This simple upgrade will help transform your backyard into the ultimate staycation set-up.
Transform your bedroom into a luxury suite
For many people, escaping to a relaxing destination and staying at a nice hotel is one of the best parts of a vacation. You can easily transform your current bedroom into a luxury escape with a few tweaks to your current decor.
9. Switch your bed linens Chances are you have a spare bedding set saved for the occasional house guest, so now’s the time to break it out. Switching out your current bedding for freshly cleaned white linens will help evoke that tranquil calmness of a resort during your staycation.
10. Spend the night in your guest bedroom Better yet, if you’ve got a spare bedroom, plan to spend your staycation nights here. Without guests, your spare bedroom may be going unused, so make use of it as your dedicated hotel room. You’ll get a break from your normal nightly routine and wake up to different scenery without having to change a thing.